ProgramCOVID-19 Federal Assistance e311
TopicsFederal Funding Streams, Infrastructure & Maintenance Investments
Funding SourceInfrastructure Investments and Jobs Act
Will National Infrastructure Project Assistance Notice of Funding Opportunities be available for future projects?
The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (“IIJA”) includes funding for the National Infrastructure Project Assistance (“MEGA”) grant program. MEGA is a $5 billion competitive grant program that supports multi-modal, multi-jurisdictional projects of regional or national significance.
The Multimodal Project Discretionary Grant Opportunity (“MPDG”) combined Notice of Funding Opportunity (“NOFO”) will allow applicants to use one application to apply for up to three separate discretionary grants, including MEGA. The deadline for MPDG applications is approaching quickly: applicants must submit MPDG applications by 11:59 p.m. ET on May 23, 2022.
The following are guidelines for applicant and project eligibility under MEGA:
Eligible applicants include:
- (A) a state or a group of states;
- (B) a metropolitan planning organization;
- (C) a unit of local government;
- (D) a political subdivision of a state;
- (E) a special-purpose district or public authority with a transportation function, including a port authority;
- (F) a Tribal government or a consortium of Tribal governments;
- (G) a partnership between Amtrak and one or more entities described in subparagraphs (A) through (F) above; and
- (H) a group of entities described in any subparagraph (A) through (G).
Eligible uses for MEGA-funded projects include highway or bridge projects implemented via:
- the National Multimodal Freight Network under 49 U.S.C. § 701013;
- the National Highway Freight Network under 23 U.S.C. § 167;
- the National Highway System under 23 U.S.C. § 103;
- a freight intermodal (including public ports) or freight rail project that provides a public benefit;
- a railway-highway grade separation or elimination project;
- an intercity passenger rail project; and
- public transportation projects eligible for Federal Transit Administration funding under 49 U.S.C.
Last Updated: April 20, 2022
 U.S. Department of Transportation, “Mega - Additional Guidance,” available at: https://www.transportation.gov/grants/mega-additional-guidance.
 U.S. Department of Transportation, “Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) Multimodal Project Discretionary Grant Opportunity (MPDG),” at 3-21, available at: https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/2022-03/FY22%20Multimodal%20Project%20Discretionary%20Grant%20-%20NOFO_final_0.pdf.
 U.S. Department of Transportation, “The Mega Grant Program,” available at: https://www.transportation.gov/grants/mega-grant-program.