ProgramCOVID-19 Federal Assistance e311
TopicsFederal Funding Streams, Infrastructure & Maintenance Investments
Is IIJA funding available to train and prepare the workforce necessary for IIJA projects?
The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (“IIJA”) introduces over 350 funding programs across more than a dozen federal departments and agencies.
In many circumstances, IIJA funding is available to train and prepare the workforce for infrastructure-related work and IIJA projects. The White House has identified workforce development as an eligible use for the following funding opportunities:
- On-the-Job Training Program;
- Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvement Grants;
- Low or No Emission (Bus) Grants;
- Public Transportation Technical Assistance and Workforce Development;
- Solar Improvement Research & Development;
- Energy Auditor Training Grant Program;
- Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (Robert T. Stafford Act Section 203(i));
- Federal Wildland Firefighter Salaries and Expenses;
- Department of Interior Wildfire Management – Preparedness;
- Preplanning Fire Response Workshops and Workforce Training;
- Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program;
- State Digital Equity Competitive Grant;
- Appalachian Regional Commission Funds;
- Appalachian Area Development: Allocations to ARC States;
- Appalachian Area Development: Regional Multistate Initiative;
- Appalachian Area Development: Community Capacity Initiative;
- Delta Regional Authority;
- Denali Commission: Workforce Development;
- Denali Commission: Village Infrastructure Protection ;
- Training & Education; and
- Technical Assistance and Workforce Development Grants.
Municipalities can reference the White House Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Guidebook for more information on these funding opportunities.
It is important to note that these programs have different eligible recipients, and their funding mechanisms may vary. The White House Guidebook Data Set can help municipalities identify funding opportunities based on specific criteria.
Last Updated: April 20, 2022
 The White House, A Guidebook to the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law for State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial Governments, and Other Partners (as of January 31, 2022), at 3, available at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/BUILDING-A-BETTER-AMERICA_FINAL.pdf.
 Id., at 48.
 Id., at 60.
 Id., at 64.
 Id., at 87.
 Id., at 213.
 Id., at 215.
 Id., at 282.
 Id., at 292.
 Id., at 307.
 Id., at 339.
 Id., at 393.
 Id., at 397.
 Id., at 406.
 Id., at 407.
 Id., at 408.
 Id., at 409.
 Id., at 410.
 Id., at 412.
 Id., at 413.
 Id., at 436.
 Id., at 438.
 The White House, The Guidebook to the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law for State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial Governments, and Other Partners (as of January 31, 2022) – Guidebook Dataset, available at: https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.whitehouse.gov%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2022%2F01%2FGuideBookDataset_FINAL.xlsx&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK.